Sunday, April 5, 2009

New Hope




Isn't General Conference absolutely wonderful! Every six months we hear encouraging words from our leaders as they push us to do better and give us the hope to actually go out and implement their words. How wonderful! I am so thankful for the Ensign. It has become my lifeline as we go through these hard times. The wonderful talks today will consume next month's Ensign. I can't wait to get out my highlighter and go to town. I learned something wonderful from March's Ensign. The article was entitled Preparing Our Children for General Conference. There were wonderful ideas for children of all ages and how to get them excited about Conference weekend. I was lucky enough to have read it one week before Conference and had time to implement it. It worked wonders. Wyatt had a friend come to the door to play Saturday. He didn't even ask me if he could play, he just told his friend he was watching Conference! Oh the joy that went through my heart. It was fun to listen to the kids be excited about hearing words they had chose to listen for and what color tie the Presidency was wearing. Bradyn was even well behaved and caught on to what was happening. He apparently picked out the word Holy Ghost and every time he heard it he would say ever so excitedly "Mom, they said Holy Ghost" I was trying to get him to sleep and we were rocking and one sister said she knew she was a Child of God. Bradyn looked up at me and said "I child of God, Jesus like me." What a wonderful gospel that teaches our children this from birth.


I can't say the children were perfect. The last half hour of every session they became rowdy and not so engaged, but we have never gotten them to really listen for that long to all sessions. I urge everyone to find that article, read it and implement it if you haven't already!


Now for my favorite talk. There is always one that stands out above the rest. Today it was Jeffrey R. Holland. I have always liked him, but today was exceptional. I just sat there and cried. It was the perfect talk for this Easter season. The sacrifice that Jesus gave and the pain He went through is not even comprehensible. I pray everyone remembers the reason for Easter and emphasize it to your children. I, like President Monson, have very tender feelings at the end of this conference and am so grateful for my redeemer.

3 comments:

B said...

I always cry when conference ends! It is so peaceful and filling to sit and take in the council and spirit for two days that is it so sad when it ends and I know that I have to wait for 6 more months!

Amanda Borden said...

no wonder your primary pres:) thank you for your testimony. i too enjoyed conference very much!! glad you and your children did also.
and that talk by Jeffrey R. Holland was sensational. loved it.

Melanie said...

I love Conference weekend too, however I sure wish I had read that ensign article ahead of time as it was difficult to reign my kids in to listen. I will definitely read it and implement it next time.
p.s. -- I love the music on your blog...it takes me back to the day ;)